Anthony D. Pedi

May 19, 1922 - May 25, 2010

Source: Muster Roll - December 19, 1944

Anthony D. Pedi
Anthony D. Pedi
Image courtesy of Welsh Funeral Home

Source: Welsh Funeral Home

Anthony D. Pedi, Sr., retired Chelsea Police Patrolman, passed away Thursday afternoon March 25th at the Chelsea Soldiers where he has been receiving supportive care for the past few months.

Born and raised in Chelsea he was the son of the late Domenico and Pauline (Destefano) Pedi. Anthony attended local schools and was an amateur Boxer, as a young man he worked as a Welders Helper at the Hingham Naval Shipyard.

He enlisted in the US Army in 1943 and soon gained his expert infantry badge. As a heavy machine gunner he was deployed to the Asiatic Pacific Theater with the 34th Infantry, his heavy machine gun squad fired and serviced .50 caliber machine guns to destroy enemy vehicles, installations and lines of communication from fixed and mobile positions. He received the Purple Heart for combat wounds and was awarded 2 Bronze Service Stars. He was honorably discharged in January of 1946 at the rank of PFC.

He returned to Chelsea and briefly worked at the Watertown Arsenal before applying to the Chelsea Police Department, he was first appointed as a reserve Officer in 1952 by former Mayor Andrew Quigley and was made a permanent officer in 1956 by former Mayor Hugh McLaughlin. Tony served as a member of the Traffic Bureau, Motorized Equipment Officer and the Cell Block Officer. He was honored many times for his quick action which saved the lives of despondent and sick prisoners while in his charge in the cell block. But Officer Pedi is most remembered for his more than 20 years of service as a traffic officer at the corner Garfield and Bell Streets where thousands of youngsters were guided by this kindly and loving man.

He received an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Science in 1982 and retired from the Chelsea Police Department in 1985 with 32 years of service as one of the most respected and popular officers of his time.

He was married to Jennie (Presti) for nearly 30 years and together they raised their family of six sons and two daughters here in Chelsea. Tony was sadly predeceased by his beloved wife Jennie in 1977. A widower at a young age with a young family still at home, Tony joined a widow/widowers support group. While attending socials with that group he was introduced to his second wife Mary Sanborn with whom he has shared the past 30 years making his new home in Woburn. Since his retirement he has spent winters in Interlachen, Florida, while there he was a member of the Lions International and the American Legion, on his return to Woburn he was an active member with the Woburn Senior Center where he was best known for his talents as an amateur singer bring his own karaoke machine to entertain his fellow seniors.